CAIRO, April 9 (Xinhua) — Egypt’s Ministry of Health confirmed on Saturday that one person was killed and 71 others were injured in turmoil in central Cairo’s Tahrir Square earlier in the day.
According to the official MENA news agency, the injured people have been treated immediately, and most of them have left the hospital.
Eyewitnesses earlier said two people were killed and dozen others were wounded when Egyptian military forces tried to disperse protesters in Tahrir Square.
Thousands of Egyptian protestors return to Tahrir Square in central Cairo trying to set up tents inside the square, and blocking roads to the square with barriers and wires.
Local Almasry Elyoum website said the military tried to disperse protestors by force early Saturday after protesters committed several acts of riots and overstayed the curfew hours from 2 a.m. (0000 GMT) to 5 a.m. (0300GMT).
The website reported the army fired warning shots in the air to break up the sit-in to avoid any acts of sabotage in the streets.
The armed forces said in a statement Saturday morning that it will take necessary measures and stand against those who trying to harm security of the country.
A group of protests returned to camp in Tahrir Square on Friday, where has been the epicenter of Jan. 25 protests that forced former President Hosni Mubarak to step down.