Afghan Interior Ministry stated that Taleban bombers equipped with suicide vests and automatic weapons attacked government buildings in western Afghanistan early Wednesday. According to Interior Ministry spokesman Zamarai Bashary, several attackers were killed by Afghan forces, while the rest were holed up in a building in Zaranj, the capital of the western province of Nimruz.
Nimruz governor Ghulam Dastagir Azad stated that there have been seven explosions so far. Reportedly, a gun battle between the insurgents and security forces is still going on.
Separately Taleban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said their fighters have attacked Dur Baba in the eastern province ofNangarhar on Tuesday night and killed 15 Afghan troops. He said two Taleban fighters were also killed during the fighting that lasted for two hours. However, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, a spokesman for the provincial government rejected the claim. He said there were no casualties from the governmental side and the Dur Baba district is under control of Afghan forces.
Meanwhile, the Danish military command reported on Wednesday that 11 Danish soldiers have been wounded in an attack on a base in southern Afghanistan late on Tuesday in the volatile Helmand province.